- Tuesday, 08 November 2016 14:00
Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS), is urging families to join an online campaign encouraging people to test their smoke alarm.
Smoke alarms provide vital early warning of a fire but research shows that only 28% of all households which own one test it on a regular basis.
AF&RS is asking families to show their support for the #PressToTest campaign by posting images online of themselves checking their detectors. Families who post an image will have one of four chances to win a visit to a fire station.
AF&RS is supporting a national campaign following 229 fire-related deaths in the home last year. The Fire Kills campaign hopes that by encouraging everyone to test their smoke alarms more deaths could be prevented.
Group Manager for Risk Reduction at AF&RS, Matt Peskett, said: “You’re at least seven times more likely to die in a fire if you don’t have any working smoke alarms. However, only 28% of the people who own an alarm say they take the time to test it at least monthly.
“We would like everyone to take just a few minutes to test their alarms. As well as keeping yourself safe, families who engage in the online campaign will also have the chance to win a visit to a working fire station as a thank you for supporting our campaign.”
“I’d encourage everyoneto make sure they test their smoke alarms today and get into the habit of testing them each month as they can save you and your family’s life. In the event of a fire, working smoke alarms will give you the valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.”
To help keep you and your loved ones safe, follow these simple steps:
- Test your smoke alarms now or when you get home
- Make sure you fit smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them monthly, even if they’re wired into the mains.
- Whatever happens, never remove the batteries in your smoke alarms unless you are replacing them. Some require new batteries every year.
- Plan and practise an escape route and make sure that everyone in your home knows it.
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.
- Test the smoke alarms of those who are unable to test their own
AF&RS offers free Home Fire Safety Visits where our staff offer fire safety advice and fit free smoke alarms if required.
To book a Home Fire Safety Visit for yourself or someone you care about visit www.avonfire.gov.uk, call 0117 926 2061 or text VISIT to 07507 319 694.
Full terms and conditions of the #PressToTest competition can be found by clicking here