- Tuesday, 26 October 2010 13:47
AF&RS is supporting organised bonfire and fireworks displays in a bid to make your Bonfire Night celebrations safer.
Working alongside Trading Standards officers, leaflets containing firework safety advice will invite members of the public to enter a competition to win tickets to an organised fireworks display in Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire.
Avon Fire & Rescue Service Community Safety Officer Roger Farrant said: “We want to make sure bonfire night is safe and enjoyable for everyone. We would always advise people to attend an organised display but if they are having an event at home, they should follow The Firework Code.”
Advice for a safe firework celebration:
- Only buy British Standard marked fireworks with the code BS 7114 and follow the instructions carefully;
- Always store fireworks in a metal box, not in your pocket;
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. If you are in charge of the display, save the drinking until after the fireworks;
- When using sparklers, always wear gloves and keep a bucket of water nearby to dispose of them in;
- Make sure you build your bonfire well away from hedges and fencing which could catch fire; and
- Never throw fireworks, as burns and scalds can last a lifetime.