Based at: Technical Centre (Nova Way, Avonmouth)
Hours: 37 hours per week (Monday-Friday)
Salary: £18,070 per annum
Closing date: 29 May 2018
We have a vacancy for a permanent Technician. You will be based at our Technical Centre although you will travel around the Service area (vehicle provided). The post involves assisting with the management of Avon Fire & Rescue Service’s access to water supplies by inspecting, testing and repairing fire hydrants ensuring water is immediately available for use when Fire-fighters attend an incident.
The role also involves proposing locations for new hydrant installations, decommissioning redundant installations and recording all works undertaken to ensure cost effectiveness and maximum practical benefit to operational firefighting crews.
The successful candidate will also assist in ensuring that the Service's operational technical equipment is safe and operationally ready by undertaking maintenance, repairs, basic adaptations and testing. This will include deciding on the serviceability of operational equipment, ensuring that all work is completed within an agreed timescale and in accordance with relevant legislation/codes of practice and keeping Managers informed of progress. The post holder will maintain accurate records of all work carried out using a range of systems (electronic and manual).
If you wish to apply for this post you must meet the following essential criteria:
- Technical knowledge of a variety of mechanical and electrical equipment, including pumps, hydraulics and generators.
- Experience of testing mechanical and other equipment ensuring safety and operational readiness.
- Able to machine basic components, cut threads with taps and dies, cut screws, etc.
- Able to work unsupervised in a methodical and logical manner when tracing or diagnosing faults and make appropriate decisions on actions required.
- A current driving licence.
- Awareness of hazards and control measures of working alone on the highway.
- Previous experience in the practical use and maintenance of hydrant installations is desirable, however full training can be provided.
How to apply: