Choosing your smoke alarm
- Fit smoke alarms on every level of your home.
- Smoke alarms are cheap and easy to install.
- They are available from DIY stores, electrical shops and most high street supermarkets.
- There are a variety of different models to choose from. Avon Fire & Rescue Service can provide you with advice on which one is best suited for you.
How to make sure your smoke alarm works
Test the batteries in your smoke alarm every month. Change them every year. Never remove them.
- Never disconnect or take the batteries out of your alarm if it goes off by mistake.
- Standard battery operated alarms are the cheapest option, but the batteries need to be replaced every year.
- A lot of people forget to check the batteries, so longer life batteries are better.
- An alarm with 10 year batteries is the best option.
- Mains-powered alarms are powered by your home power supply. Generally they don't need replaceable batteries, but need to be installed by a qualified electrician.
- Alarms that plug into a light socket use a rechargeable battery, which is charged when the light is on.
- You can have linked alarms installed, so that when one alarm detects a fire they all go off together. This is useful if you live in a large house or over several levels.
Fitting your smoke alarm
0808 808 0123
- Don't put alarms in or near kitchens or bathrooms where smoke or steam can set them off by accident.
- The ideal position is on the ceiling, in the middle of a room, or on the hallway and landing, so you can hear the alarm throughout your home.
- If it is difficult for you to fit your alarm yourself contact Avon Fire & Rescue Service for more advice.
Looking after your smoke alarm
- Make checking your smoke alarm part of your regular household routine.
- Test it by pressing the button until the alarm sounds. If it doesn't sound you need to replace the battery.
- If your smoke alarms starts to beep on a regular basis, you need to replace the battery immediately.
- If it is a 10 year alarm, you will need to replace the whole alarm every 10 years.