- Tuesday, 17 September 2019 11:47
In the past few weeks we have been approached by members of the public who have been advised to dispose of fire extinguishers at their local fire station. Please be aware that we do not offer this service.
We have provided some guidance on how to deal with your fire extinguishers below.
Will the fire service check my fire extinguisher?
No. We do not check fire extinguishers, but Contractors with BAFE (British Association of Fire Equipment) registration will provide an accredited service.
The Fire Extinguisher is full but has passed its expiration date
If the fire extinguisher is full and has passed its operational manufacture date you should call the manufacturer for advice. The details of the manufacturer should be on a sticker located on the canister.
Can I use it before I dispose of it?
We would recommend you not to use it due to the potential effects different types of fire extinguishers can have on the environment and also your health.
Where can I purchase a new one?
Many DIY stores sell fire extinguishers, but advice from a competent person with BAFE (British Association of Fire Equipment) registration will provide an accredited service.
Where can I take my fire extinguisher to be disposed of?
- Bath and North East Somerset Council Recycling Centre’s accept full and empty fire extinguishers. Click here for more information
- Bristol Council Recycling Centre’s do not accept any type of fire extinguisher. Click here for more information.
- South Gloucester Council recyclingcentres accept small empty fire extinguishers. Click here for more information.
- North Somerset Recycling Centre’s will charge you for accepting fire extinguishers. Click here for more information.