Matches, lighters and candles
- Remember to keep things that can cause fires out of children’s reach.
- Position lighted candles and tea lights out of reach of children.
Electrics and heaters
- Teach children not to poke anything, including fingers, into sockets.
- Consider getting plug guards to cover sockets.
- Make sure electrical appliances (TVs and computers) in children’s bedrooms are switched off at night.
- Fit a childproof guard in front of open fires or heaters – the best ones can be fixed to the wall.
- Make sure children don’t play near fires or heaters to avoid them getting burnt.
- As kitchens can be dangerous places for children, avoid leaving them unsupervised.
- Avoid using the front of the hob when small children are around.
- Make sure that saucepan handles don’t stick out to avoid them being knocked off.