If you’re planning on having a bonfire, ensure youmake it as safe as possible for you and your family by following this advice:
- Build your bonfirewell clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences, trees and hedges. Make sure you have a bucket of water or garden hose nearby
- Only burn dry materials and never use flammable liquids or accelerants
- Never leave the bonfire unattended
- Keep your loved ones well away from the bonfire
If you are purchasing your own fireworks this year, make sure you make your own fireworks display as safe as possible:
- Ensure they are marked with the British Standard safety number 7114 or the CE safety mark - A reputable retailer will sell fireworks that comply with this standard.
- Keep your fireworks in a closed box or tin and out of reach of children.
- Light fireworks at arm’s length and make sure everyone stands well back.
- Never return to a lit firework:if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode!
Sparklers are a fun way for children to enjoy firework celebrations but they can cause injuries if not used safely:
- Always supervise children when using sparklers and follow the instructions on the packaging
- Light sparklers one at a time
- Ensure childrenarewearinggloves and keeping theirsparklers at arm’s length
- You could even put the sparkler in the end of a carrot, making it even saferto hold!
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to put sparklers in after use