How to avoid electrical fires
- Always check that you use the right fuse to prevent overheating.
- Make sure an electrical appliance has a British or European safety mark when you buy it.
- Certain appliances, such as washing machines, should have a single plug to themselves, as they are high powered.
- Try and keep to one plug per socket.
- Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order to prevent them triggering a fire.
- Keep your eyes peeled for signs of dangerous or loose wiring such as scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reason, or flickering lights.
- Check and replace any old cables and leads, especially if they are hidden from view – behind furniture or under carpets and mats.
- Unplugging appliances helps reduce the risk of fire.
- Unplug applianceswhich don't need to be on continuously when you’re not using them or when you go to bed.