Camping and caravanning
- Ensure caravans and tents are at least six metres apart and away from parked cars, to reduce the risk of fire spreading.
- Keep a torch handy for emergencies - never use lighted candles.
- Make sure you know the campsite's fire safety arrangements and check where the nearest telephone is.
Staying in a tent
- Never use candles in or near a tent - torches are safer.
- Keep cooking appliances away from the tent walls as they could easily set alight.
- Never cook inside a small tent.
- Don't cook near flammable materials or long grass, they can set alight easily.
- Make sure you know how to escape by cutting your way out of the tent if there is a fire.
- Make sure everyone knows how to put out clothing that's on fire - Stop, Drop and Roll.
- Don't smoke inside tents.
Staying in a caravan
- Fit and test a smoke alarm in your caravan - optical alarms are usually most effective.
- Take special care when cooking - don't leave pans unattended.
- Turn off all appliances before you go out or to bed.
- Make sure ashstrays are made of a material that can't burn - and never smoke in bed.
- Don't dry clothes over the stove.
- Remove any litter and rubbish near the caravan to reduce the risk of fire spreading.
- Make sure the caravan is ventilated, and never block air vents, to avoid a build up of poisonous gases.
- Consider keeping a fire extinguisher by the entrance, but always read the instructions before using it.
Using gas cylinders
- Don't use petrol or paraffin to light a solid fuel stove.
- Keep flammable liquids (such as petrol and gas cylinders) outside and away from children.
- Only change gas cylinders when they're completely empty and store them away from caravans and vehicles.
- Make sure the gas pipe connection is secure. If you suspect a leak, turn off the main cylinder valve.
What to do if there is a fire
- Keep calm and get everyone out as quickly as you can.
- Call 999 and ask for the fire and rescue service. Give your exact location, map reference, and if possible, a landmark such as a farm or a pub.