Using electric blankets
- Never use hot water bottles in the same bed as an electric blanket, even if the blanket is switched off.
- Unplug blankets before you get into bed, unless they have a thermostat control for safe all-night use.
- Don't leave electric blankets folded as this damages the internal wiring. Store them flat or rolled up instead.
- Test electric blankets every three years.
- Try not to buy second-hand blankets and check regularly for wear and tear. Replace your blanket when it is more than 10 years old.