Under the Local Government Transparency Code, public authorities are required to publish the following information regarding Trade union representatives operating within AF&RS:
- total number (absolute number and full time equivalent) of staff who are union representatives (including general, learning and health and safety representatives)
- total number (absolute number and full time equivalent) of union representatives who devote at least 50 per cent of their time to union duties
- names of all trade unions represented in the Fire authority
- a basic estimate of spending on unions (calculated as the number of full time equivalent days spent on union duties multiplied by the average salary), and
- a basic estimate of spending on unions as a percentage of the total pay bill (calculated as the number of full time equivalent days spent on union duties multiplied by the average salary divided by the total pay bill).
We recognise that there is a statutory right to time off for stewards or elected staff representatives.
Stewards are granted release to attend meetings to represent members subject to the needs of the Service and as required. This includes consultative meetings as part of normal employment relations process and/or to comply with statutory provisions.
Trade union consultation arrangements provide an effective mechanism for consulting with staff on Authority wide issues, and ensuring that it meets its statutory responsibilities.
We are currently working on a revised recognition and facility time agreement for all the unions.